Re: pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index problem after log disk filled up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index problem after log disk filled up
Date: 2000-08-29 00:48:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se> writes:
> What's this? What to do? Shall I bother?

> pp=> vacuum;
> NOTICE: Index pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index: NUMBER OF
> INDEX' TUPLES (3094) IS NOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (3093)

Under 6.5, if vacuum doesn't get rid of the message then I think the
only way to do so is to dump and reload the database. (I'd strongly
recommend updating to 7.0.2 while you do that.)

The message in itself is not catastrophic, but it does raise the
question of what other damage there might be. Updating would be
a good idea anyway, considering all the bugs that got fixed between
6.5 and 7.0.

> The problem started when the log partition (where
> postmaster logging output is written) was full, and some
> backends crashed.

Did they actually crash, or just hang up waiting for space to become
available for the log file? That really shouldn't have been much of
a problem, AFAICS.