Re: Configure/Build 9.0 rc1 - cannot build against python3.1, with two versions of python in the environment

From: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org, James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Configure/Build 9.0 rc1 - cannot build against python3.1, with two versions of python in the environment
Date: 2010-09-13 01:20:55
Lists: pgsql-testers
I would be willing to accept the 'pilot error' tag (I have no instrument rating in this type), but...

Isn't it common to have multiple versions of libs in an environment? We have several versions of many things, used in different settings - often specifically for purposes of version testing. For example, we kept the python2.4 implementation because we have some code which (we believe) may depend on it. By the way, we have no immediate interest in pl/Python; this compilation attempt was only for testing purposes...

Yes, the 2.4 version of python is found first in our PATH environment. What seems strange in this case, though, is that - apparently? - no combination of configure options or env variables lets us designate one version consistently. The configure script is itself mixing versions:

--with-python \

--with-includes=/usr/local/include/python3.1:/usr/local/include:/usr/local/ssl/include \

--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib/python3.1:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/ssl/lib \

Setting env PYTHON or PYTHONPATH didn't seem to have any impact.

We are also not such python mavens as to be anything near expert with it...

- Lou Picciano