Re: Backing up postgresql databases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter Schuller" <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>
Cc: John W Cunningham <john(at)pickaprof(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backing up postgresql databases
Date: 2001-03-19 16:03:56
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Peter Schuller" <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com> writes:
> I do have a question though. Contrary to Grant, I can't use a trust policy,
> even on the local machine. As a result, I need to use password
> authentication. However, pg_dumpall seems to generally screw up.

pg_dumpall is very unfriendly to password auth method :-(.  Even if it
worked better, would you really want to keep a password stored in a cron

Consider using IDENT authentication on local TCP connections and having
the dumper connect to instead of via Unix socket.  IDENT is
not real secure for remote connections but I don't see why you shouldn't
trust it for local.

Kerberos auth might be another answer, but I don't know enough about it
to comment intelligently.