Re: CommitDelay performance improvement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date: 2001-02-25 05:41:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Attached are graphs from more thorough runs of pgbench with a commit
delay that occurs only when at least N other backends are running active

My initial try at this proved to be too noisy to tell much.  The noise
seems to be coming from WAL checkpoints that occur during a run and
push down the reported TPS value for the particular case that's running.
While we'd need to include WAL checkpoints to make an honest performance
comparison against another RDBMS, I think they are best ignored for the
purpose of figuring out what the commit-delay behavior ought to be.
Accordingly, I modified my test script to minimize the occurrence of
checkpoint activity during runs (see attached script).  There are still
some data points that are unexpectedly low compared to their neighbors;
presumably these were affected by checkpoints or other system activity.

It's not entirely clear what set of parameters is best, but it is
absolutely clear that a flat zero-commit-delay policy is NOT best.

The test conditions are postmaster options -N 100 -B 1024, pgbench scale
factor 10, pgbench -t (transactions per client) 100.  (Hence the results
for a single client rely on only 100 transactions, and are pretty noisy.
The noise level should decrease as the number of clients increases.)

Comments anyone?