Problems connecting to database

From: burferd <jarzabek(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems connecting to database
Date: 2008-09-22 22:51:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
I just started working with postgre.

I found a couple of connection examples on the net that I followed,
but I am still not able to connect to the database from within my
application.

I get the following error message:
Connection refused.
Check that the host name and port and that the postmaster is accepting
TCP/IP connections.

I'm using Netbeans 6.1 and I added the postgre jdbc drivers to the project.
It appears that I am getting the driver, but I am not connecting to the
database.

Here is what I am using to connect - I don't see why it is not connecting.

     String dbName = "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5430/HostDB";
           Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
            dbConn = DriverManager.getConnection( dbName, dbUser, dbPasswd
);

I can connect in pgAdminIII using the same user and password, so the
database recognizes the user.
The database name "HostDB" is the correct name and I'm using the default
port of 5430.

I'm not sure what the postmaster reference is telling me -
is there some flag on the database I need to set???

What else can I check?

Thanks