Re: Page OpaqueData

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page OpaqueData
Date: 2002-06-24 16:53:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> Is od_pagesize in any way more or less opaque than pd_lower, pd_upper,
> pd_special, etc? If it is, why?

I surmise that there was once some idea of supporting multiple page
sizes simultaneously, but it's not real clear why the macros
PageGetPageSize/PageSetPageSize wouldn't be a sufficient abstraction
layer; the extra level of struct naming for pd_opaque has no obvious
usefulness. In any case I doubt that dealing with multiple page sizes
would be worth the trouble it would be to support.

> If it's not, should I post a patch that puts pagesize directly into
> PageHeaderData?

If you're so inclined. Given that pd_opaque is hidden in those macros,
there wouldn't be much of any gain in readability either, so I haven't
worried about changing the declaration.