Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.
Date: 2004-08-07 18:06:33
Lists: pgsql-committers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Just curious, but isn't this one of the key points about pg_autovacuum in
> the first place?  So that you vacuum what needs to be vacuum'd, and not
> *everything* ... ?  Shouldn't the answer to the 'bandwidth issue' change
> to 'you should install/use pg_autovacuum'?

No, not really, but I think it's much more likely that you'd want to
enable vacuum delay for autovacuum-commanded vacuums than vacuums
commanded interactively.  Or, if you still prefer the old-tech way of
performing routine vacuums from a cron script, you'd probably turn on
vacuum delay in that cron script.

I think we *should* add to autovacuum a parameter to let it set
vacuum_delay for its vacuums, and maybe even default to having it on.
But I'm unconvinced we want any delay as the global default.