Re: Speed Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: Noah Silverman <noah(at)allresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed Question
Date: 2002-12-21 20:28:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> ... where "similar" means that the value of each attribute lies within
> a small range around the value of the corresponding attribute of the
> reference object?

> I don't know, whether GiST or R-Tree could help.

If the problem is multidimensional range search then GIST might be just
the ticket. I am not sure if you'd need to do any coding though. It
looks like contrib/btree_gist provides the necessary operator class, but
only for int4 and timestamp datatypes.

I think that our r-tree code is restricted to two-dimensional indexing,
so it wouldn't help.