Re: PGDUMP Bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Satheesan K Nair" <support(at)shakthiinnovators(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PGDUMP Bug
Date: 2010-10-06 17:49:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> "Satheesan K Nair" <support(at)shakthiinnovators(dot)com> wrote:
>> C:\pgsql\bin>pg_dump.exe -h dbserver -p 5432 -U streamline -F c -v
>> -f "C:\backup\wrm_batch.backup" -t wrm_batch -n "Jay Jay Mills
>> Lanka (Private) Limited" "16mar10"

> I don't know about Windows, but on Linux you would need apostrophe
> quoting around the double-quotes in that context:

> -n '"Jay Jay Mills Lanka (Private) Limited"'

> Otherwise the OS eats your quote characters and PostgreSQL doesn't
> know about them, so it would fold the schema name to lower case.

Not only case-folding: the argument of -n is actually a regex pattern,
and parentheses are special in regexes. The double quotes would fix
both of those things though.

Personally I'd think twice or three times about using a schema name like
that. But you can do it, if you can figure out how to get Windows to
include a double quote in a command argument.