Re: Autovacuum Issues?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kenneth Buckler <kenneth(dot)buckler(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Issues?
Date: 2011-01-31 18:07:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Kenneth Buckler <kenneth(dot)buckler(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Does autovacuum automatically use the 'postgres' role?

It automatically uses the bootstrap superuser role.

> If so, how can I change what role autovacuum uses?

You can't.

> One of the security requirements
> I've been required to implement removes superuser privileges from
> postgres and assigns those privileges to a different role.

You can't mess around with the bootstrap superuser. If you like, you
can cause it to be named something other than "postgres" --- just run
initdb as some other operating system user name. (I think it would also
work to do ALTER USER RENAME after the fact, but haven't really
experimented with the consequences of that.) But otherwise, this
"security requirement" seems pretty air-headed. You have to have a
superuser.