Re: Postgres server crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres server crash
Date: 2006-11-16 18:10:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Craig A. James wrote:
>> It can't be a coincidence that these were the only two processes in a
>> SELECT operation. Does the server disable signals at critical points?

> If a "kill -9" as root doesn't get rid of them, I think I'm right in
> saying that it's a kernel-level problem rather than something else.

I didn't actually see Craig say anywhere that he'd tried "kill -9" on
those backends. If he did and it didn't do anything, then clearly they
were in some kind of uninterruptable wait, which is certainly evidence
of a kernel or hardware issue. If he didn't do "kill -9" then we don't
really know what the issue was --- it's not improbable that they were
stuck in some loop not containing a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() test.