unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

From: dbchristopher <dbchristopher(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date
Date: 2008-09-16 21:53:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
I upgraded to postgresql 8.3.3 a few weeks ago, and it seems that while the
server was upgraded, but for some reason none of the accompanying software
was (pg_dump, psql, etc)

I get this error when I try to back up the database:
pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.2.6
pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch (Use the -i option to proceed
anyway.)
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

and likewise when I log into the psql client:
WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.3,
but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

How could this have happened? I really need to be able to back up my
information. I reinstalled the software and it didn't change anything. What
do I do to upgrade pg_dump to the newest version?