Re: Slaying the HYPOTamus

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Paul Matthews <plm(at)netspace(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slaying the HYPOTamus
Date: 2009-08-23 05:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If there's a performance advantage then we could add a configure test
> and define the macro to call hypot(). You said it existed before C99
> though, how widespread was it? If it's in all the platforms we support
> it might be reasonable to just go with it.

For one data point, I see hypot() in HPUX 10.20, released circa 1996.
I suspect we would want a configure test and a substitute function
anyway. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the substitute being
the naive sqrt(x*x+y*y), particularly if it's replacing existing code
that overflows in the same places.