Re: knngist - 0.8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: knngist - 0.8
Date: 2010-12-26 19:41:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Catching up tonight, I wonder I could propose to add ordering
> operators in btree, not in gist, for basic types.

I thought about that for a bit while working on the knngist patch, but
couldn't really see any useful application. In particular, I don't see
a way to shoehorn + and - in there as ordering operators. They don't
match the structure. The RANGE problem wants to add operators that are
somehow related to a btree's operators, but they're not related in the
way that knngist uses.