Re: comparing rows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comparing rows
Date: 2000-08-03 20:12:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> Please don't. It seems true that Microsoft has enabled a mode for
> SQL Server, but the main problem was Access. And Access 95/97 has
> a huge installed base of users that would not be able to use its
> automated query tools with PostgreSQL.

That was what I was afraid of :-(.  Question though: if MS has changed
the default behavior of their server to be (more) SQL-compliant, aren't
these folks being forced to update their Access installs anyway?
Presumably those old versions do not know how to select the non-default
behavior of SQL Server, so they're gonna be incompatible with newer
servers despite the nominal presence of a workaround.

I've got no objection to leaving in the kluge for another release or two
if there's still a big installed base that needs it --- but I don't want
to leave it there indefinitely for the benefit of a few tail-end
Charlies.  Seems like folks running obsolete Access code are unlikely
to pick up the latest Postgres either, so will it really matter if we
change?