Re: 64-bit CommandIds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit CommandIds
Date: 2008-04-25 14:28:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Question for Hans-Juergen and Zoltan: have you tested 8.3 and do you
>> still see the need for this?

> i have seen this problem two or three times within the past 2-3 years or
> so. so, it can basically happen in the field for some special purpose
> applications but i don't see this as an every day problem. it would be
> nice to have it in.

So these experiences were pre-8.3, right?

The reason that I'm harping on that is that plpgsql does a
CommandCounterIncrement for each expression it evaluates, whether
or not there's any visible database access. As of 8.3 that won't
cause consumption of CIDs, but before it did. I suspect that in a
lot of real-world scenarios, CID consumption from triggers will be
down by an order of magnitude.