The BUFFER_HIT and BUFFER_MISS probes seem pretty darn redundant

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: The BUFFER_HIT and BUFFER_MISS probes seem pretty darn redundant
Date: 2009-03-22 23:40:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Whilst cleaning up the dtrace probe documentation, I realized that
there is nothing the aforementioned probes tell you that you can't find
out (with a lot more data besides) from the final argument of the
BUFFER_READ_DONE probe. Furthermore, tallying them as-is would be
misleading since you couldn't distinguish true reads from relation
extension requests. I think we should just remove them.