Re: [SQL] index file's growing big

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)Denninger(dot)Net>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>, zoltan(dot)sebestyen(at)netvisor(dot)hu, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] index file's growing big
Date: 2000-03-07 07:13:56
Lists: pgsql-sql
Karl Denninger <karl(at)Denninger(dot)Net> writes:
> Further, if the tables are large you want to use "vacuum analyze" to reorder
> the indices in a fashion that makes queries more efficient.

Just a side comment here: VACUUM ANALYZE has nothing whatever to do
with "reordering" indexes.  What it does that a plain VACUUM does
not do is gather statistics about the table contents (minimum, maximum,
and most common value of each column, at present).  These stats are then
used by the optimizer to make better planning choices.  At least we'd
like to think they're better, Lord willin' an' the creek don't rise...