Re: Patch for collation using ICU

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date: 2005-03-29 22:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On söndag, mars 27, 2005 04.34.03 +0300 Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> wrote:

> On L, 2005-03-26 at 03:09 +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>
>> Hi!

>> I've noticed a couple of things about using the ICU patch vs. pristine
>> pg-8.0.1:
>>
>> - ORDER BY is case insensitive when using ICU. This might break the SQL
>> standard (?), but sure is nice :)

Just a comment: ORDER BY *is* already case sensitive on Linux, since its
strcoll ignores case. I doubt very much it violates SQL standards.

> How does your patch interact with the ability to use indexes for
> anchored LIKE or regex (i.e. can "name LIKE 'start%'" still use index) ?

I don't think it matters. You still need to use the special non-locale
index functions described in the handbook to get anchored like queries use
indices. My ICU patch does not alter this. ICU is "injected" where strings
are compared and the database cluster was initialized with a multibyte
character encoding.

The problem, AFAIK, has to do with the nature of (some) locales, not with a
specific implementation of collation.

Regards,
Palle