Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.

From: John Murtari <jmurtari(at)thebook(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.
Date: 2009-10-31 12:30:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg

            http://www.ExtSQL.com/postgres_notes.php

 > This is kind of interesting, but targeting 7.4.19 isn't going to get you
 > very far toward code anyone else will use.  That release is 6 years old,
 > it's filled with unsolvable limitations, it's basically at end of life.
 > The fact that it's bundled with RHEL4 and there are some legacy installs
 > still floating around are the only reason it's not completely gone from
 > everyone's radar.
 >
 > In short, if you actually care about your data, you should be running a
 > newer version of the database regardless of what RHEL ships.  And you
 > should be building patches against no earlier than 8.4 if you want
 > something that has any hope of being accepted into mainstream development.
 > Eventually the patch will need to apply to the 8.5 work in progress source
 > code tree before it's even a candidate to merge.  You can probably get
 > away with developing against a more stable version like 8.4.1, if you must
 > target something people can also deploy, but even that's not ideal and
 > will eventually turn into a code merge hurdle.

        Yes, thanks for the recommendation and I do agree.  I think we
got started with 7.4.19 because we run RHEL4 and had a postgresql
installation in support of a Canit anti-SPAM system -- it gave us
something real to test against.

        We were trying to decided what later release to target, looks
like we'll go for 8.4 and 8.5 as staff/work permits.  Any feedback on
the syntax/output is welcome.

        Best regards!

--
                                       John
John Murtari                            Software Workshop Inc.