Re: Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marco Gaiani <mgaiani(at)fundacite(dot)arg(dot)gov(dot)ve>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue
Date: 2004-02-22 22:54:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marco Gaiani <mgaiani(at)fundacite(dot)arg(dot)gov(dot)ve> writes:
> I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
> (they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
> from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly.

You should ask them why they've not reported their problems. I've not
heard from anyone else that 7.3.4 is less stable than 7.3.3.

> PANIC: The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE
> 'en_US.iso885915',
> which is not recognized by setlocale().
> It looks like you need to initdb.

I think it should be possible to get the localedef source file for this
locale and build the necessary locale support on your Mandrake system.
I don't know exactly where to look for the locale source, though.