Re: Remembering bug #6123

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remembering bug #6123
Date: 2012-01-13 21:41:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm also fine with generating an error for such dirty tricks, and I
> agree that if that's indeed possible we should make the message
> general enough to cover that case. Nothing comes to mind at the
> moment, but I'll think on it.

What do you think of

ERROR: tuple to be updated was already modified by an operation triggered by the UPDATE command
HINT: Consider using an AFTER trigger instead of a BEFORE trigger to propagate changes to other rows.

(s/update/delete/ for the DELETE case of course)

The phrase "triggered by" seems slippery enough to cover cases such as a
volatile function executed by the UPDATE. The HINT doesn't cover that
case of course, but we have a ground rule that HINTs can be wrong.