Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paolo Rizzi <gis(at)oicom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date: 2009-05-09 00:17:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Paolo Rizzi <gis(at)oicom(dot)com> writes:
> Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a
> smartphone??? Intriguing...
> Did anyone ever actually tried that???

If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
sure. Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.

The real issue with the kind of hardware you're describing is going to
be the finite write lifetime of a flash device. For a low-update
application it'll probably be okay, but PG could very easily destroy a
flash in no time if you aren't careful to minimize updates.