Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs
Date: 2003-05-13 23:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane writes:
>> I'm also still unconvinced that binary data I/O should perform encoding
>> conversion (it does as of CVS tip, but I'm not 100% sold that that's the
>> right choice).

> That depends on what you intend to achieve with the binary format. For
> some of the numeric types it's obvious, but for strings it's not.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Binary-encoded numeric values don't go through
encoding conversion. Text strings currently do. The only place where I
had any difficulty deciding what a particular datatype should do is with
the 1-byte "char" type, which has a foot in both camps. I decided to
treat it as an unconverted single byte (but am willing to listen to
argument if anyone thinks differently).

>> The general mechanism seems necessary in any case, and once we have it,
>> applying it to these particular values isn't adding much bloat.

> But where does it stop? What's the criterion?

Usefulness to client libraries, I think. If anyone pops up and says "my
library really needs to know the value of setting X", I'm happy to add X
to the set of values reported by ParameterStatus. If that set starts to
get large then I'd be willing to think about making it
run-time-configurable --- the only reason it isn't already is we don't
have enough examples to prove the need.