Re: 8.0.0rc1 on hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0.0rc1 on hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
Date: 2004-12-20 15:12:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de> writes:
> In ./src/test/regress/log/postmaster.log I cannot find
> anything regarding the stats collector non-start.

> LOG: could not translate host name "localhost", service "65432" to address: Unknown host
> WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"
> LOG: could not resolve "localhost": Unknown host
> LOG: database system was shut down at 2004-12-15 13:56:31 MET

I believe the first two messages relate to being unable to open a TCP/IP
postmaster socket, which is not fatal because we can still listen on a
Unix socket; and the third one indicates that we failed to open a UDP
socket for the stats collector. In any case you've got to fix your name
resolution setup.

Memo to list: I'm inclined to reshuffle the code in pgstat_init() so
that the notice "disabling statistics collector for lack of working
socket" is emitted in *all* cases where we fail to start the stats
collector, rather than only some cases as now. Any objections?