Re: Is a heads-up in 9.1 in order regarding the XML-related changes in 9.2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is a heads-up in 9.1 in order regarding the XML-related changes in 9.2?
Date: 2011-07-27 23:28:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Is there an establishes practice for situations like this, i.e. a behavior-
> changing bug-fix committed to X.Y+1 before X.Y is released?

Generally, we do nothing.  It's a bit premature (in fact a lot
premature) to assume that the current behavior of HEAD is exactly what
will be released in 9.2, but putting statements about it into 9.1 docs
would amount to assuming that.  It's the job of the 9.2 release notes
to point out incompatibilities, not the job of the 9.1 docs to guess
what will happen in the future.

If you think that the incompatibilities in question are so earth-shaking
as to require retroactive advance warnings, maybe we should reconsider
whether they're a good thing to do at all.