Re: pg_listener entries deleted under heavy NOTIFY load only on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marshall, Steve" <smarshall(at)wsi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_listener entries deleted under heavy NOTIFY load only on Windows
Date: 2009-01-28 17:44:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Marshall, Steve" <smarshall(at)wsi(dot)com> writes:
> Essentially, the new error handling in async.c allows postgres to fail
> in its efforts to signal a process about the presence of a NOTIFY event
> without invalidating the subscription (LISTEN) for that event.

But why would that be a good idea?  It seems to me to be a bandaid that
guarantees misbehavior in the infrequent-notification case.

The real question here, which this doesn't advance us towards solving,
is why is the CallNamedPipe call sometimes failing (or at least taking
longer than it seems it ought to).