Re: Improving psql \ds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julien Tachoires <julmon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving psql \ds
Date: 2012-10-07 22:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Julien Tachoires <julmon(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> About \ds behaviour, I think to add 2 columns :
> - 'LastValue'
> - 'Increment'

That would make the command a great deal slower, since it would have to
access each sequence to get that info.  I don't object to adding such
columns to \ds+, but I don't think it's a good idea to put them in the
basic command.

The other problem you're going to have here is that there is in fact no
such command as "\ds" (nor "\ds+"); rather, it's a special case of
\dtsvi.  As such, putting any relkind-specific info into the result is
problematic.  I think you're going to have to invent a different command
if you want there to be sequence-specific columns.