Proof-of-concept patch for CREATE LANGUAGE template idea

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Proof-of-concept patch for CREATE LANGUAGE template idea
Date: 2005-09-03 16:23:07
Lists: pgsql-patches
Attached is a preliminary patch for the "PL template" facility I
proposed a couple days ago.  This is a stripped-down implementation
that just hardwires a lookup table in proclang.c, instead of putting
the data into a system catalog as should happen in 8.2.  It's not
ready to apply yet because I haven't touched pg_dump or the
documentation, but I thought I'd put it up for comment.

Note that the patch disables createlang's -L option.  I can't see that
that option has any use anymore; it used to be needed by pg_regress
for testing temporary installations, but since we put in the
auto-package-relocation support, $libdir works fine.  Anyone still
see a need for it?

One small annoyance is that since createlang no longer knows what
languages are supported, it gives a fairly unhelpful error message
if you misspell:

$ createlang plprl
createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  no handler specified for procedural language

This could of course be fixed properly if the pltemplate system catalog
existed, but in the meantime it seems we need a kluge.  I hate to
duplicate the list of known PLs in both the backend and createlang
... anyone have a better idea?

			regards, tom lane

pgsql-patches by date