auto vacuum for opentaps

From: Ernesto Eduardo Medina Núñez <eemnpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: auto vacuum for opentaps
Date: 2008-07-21 15:41:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi I installed the open source ERP Opentaps which have *802* tables and
using PostgreSQL as backend, and also filled the tables with demo data.

When I browse the tables using PgAdmin3 I get messages saying that:*
The estimated row count on the table "some_table" deviates significantly
from the actual row count. You should run vacuum analyze.

*So I do it again and again with each table that throws me the message until
I get tired, then I went to the database's root and click on maintenance,
vacuum analyze.
Then a long process begin, after that I continue browsing the tables but I'm
still getting the messages, so I suppose that I'm not doing the vacuum
correctly.

What I want It's to make auto vacuums  in a general way, NOT table by table
because there are 802, you know what I mean...

I edited my postgresql.conf like this, but I'm not sure if that's enough,
take a look please and give some feed back please:

# RUNTIME STATISTICS

# - Statistics Monitoring -

#log_parser_stats = off
#log_planner_stats = off
#log_executor_stats = off
#log_statement_stats = off

# - Query/Index Statistics Collector -

*stats_start_collector = on*
#stats_command_string = off
#stats_block_level = off
*stats_row_level = on*
#stats_reset_on_server_start = off

# AUTOVACUUM PARAMETERS

*autovacuum = on   *              # enable autovacuum subprocess?
#autovacuum_naptime = 60                # time between autovacuum runs, in
secs
#autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1000     # min # of tuple updates before
                                        # vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 500     # min # of tuple updates before
analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.4   # fraction of rel size before vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.2  # fraction of rel size before
analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = -1      # default vacuum cost delay for
autovac, -1 means use vacuum_cost_delay
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1      # default vacuum cost limit for
autovac, -1 means use vacuum_cost_limit

pgsql-admin by date