From: "Gilley, Charles H(dot)" <Charles(dot)Gilley(at)glenayre(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Loading a database, why do I need superuser?
Date: 1998-11-20 13:59:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm in the process of loading a database on a virtual server.
Because I do not have root privileges (technically it is a shared machine),
I am encountering all sorts of hiccups. Trying the copy command to
load the database with comma delimited data, I encounter this complaint:

ERROR: You must have Postgres superuser privilege to do a COPY
directly to or from a file. Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin

There is NO mention of this in the man page or documentation that I have
perused. Perhaps I have a privilege problem?

Charles Gilley