Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jesse Morris <jmorris(at)coverity(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"
Date: 2009-10-20 16:45:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Do we have any idea why?

> Honestly? No. I have a vague hand-wavy idea about there being
> something preventing us properly modifying the token of an existing
> process in some configurations, but nothing even remotely jello-like,
> let alone concrete.

After re-reading the thread I am struck by Jesse's comment that the
current coding never worked at all for him. It seems like that must
indicate an environment difference or installed-software difference
compared to the setups where it does work. (Antivirus maybe?)

Seems like it would be worth the trouble to identify exactly what the
critical difference is.