Re: Advice Needed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com>
Cc: Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice Needed
Date: 2003-02-26 16:26:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com> writes:
> [snip]
> 1. Does this model make sense based on your work with libpq-fe and
> postgres?

Yes, it looks pretty standard. But you need to think harder about
exactly what you intend to do when two people try to edit the same
record concurrently. ("Use a cursor" does not answer that question
at all.) That's a bit off-topic for pgsql-interfaces though; I'd
recommend discussing it in pgsql-sql.

> 2. We are only using a binary cursor for the edit operation. Does
> this make sense?

Not really. I'd not bother with binary cursors at all. You're just
opening yourself up to portability problems, and you're not saving
anything meaningful when you're fetching just one row.