Re: build of 7.2.1 on SCO Openserver and Unixware 7.1.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nicolas Bazin <nbazin(at)ingenico(dot)com(dot)au>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: build of 7.2.1 on SCO Openserver and Unixware 7.1.1
Date: 2002-03-27 15:30:06
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
> Yes, the patch replaces pow(8,*) with a lookup table of 4 8^X values.
> So SCO provides a library you can't link to?  Or you can't mix *.so
> libraries and static *.a libraries?  I am inclined ot add this patch to
> the doc/FAQ_SCO file.  We really try to avoid major code uglyness to
> work around operating system things that should work on their own.

Actually, the existing coding in odbc is just plain stupid: why are we
using a transcendental function call to emulate an integer shift?
Even the table-based implementation that Nicolas proposed is doing it
the hard way.  Try converting, eg,

	for (i = 1; i <= 3; i++)
		y += (s[i] - 48) * (int) pow(8, 3 - i);

	for (i = 1; i <= 3; i++)
		y += (s[i] - '0') << (3 * (3 - i));

and you can get the patch accepted just on efficiency and readability
grounds, never mind whether it avoids SCO library breakage.

>> The TCL stuff is because Caldera distribution of TCL is compiled with their
>> compiler. If you happen to use another compiler on your platform (gcc) it
>> doesn't work anymore. Caldera compiler has -belf -Kpic options which are
>> fully incompatible with gcc. That's why I though best to leave the TCL
>> packages been compiled with the compiler used for postgresql.

We've been around on this a couple of times now; the current theory is
that we should stop using the TCL-supplied switches altogether.  There
is a patch in the works to change libpgtcl and pltcl to be built the
same way we build everything else in the distribution.