Re: Simple thing to make pg_autovacuum more useful

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple thing to make pg_autovacuum more useful
Date: 2008-01-18 01:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Are you picturing adding ALTER TABLE commands to set autovacuum
> parameters?

Well, as I said, I was trying to think of an appropriate user-visible
API, which I didn't think that pg_autovacuum itself could become.

Further downthread Alvaro points out that we've already had that
discussion, and exploiting the reloptions infrastructure was agreed
to be a reasonable solution. It took a bit of searching to find
that thread, but here it is:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg01440.php