Re: Is it really such a good thing for newNode() to be a macro?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it really such a good thing for newNode() to be a macro?
Date: 2008-08-27 00:57:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl> writes:
> b. Create a function newNode() which is declared as inline, which
> basically gives you the same code as under (a).

I considered that one, but since part of my argument is that inlining
this is a waste of code space, it seems like a better inlining
technology isn't really the answer.

The other two alternatives would force notational changes on all the
callers, which doesn't seem appealing (there are close to 1400 calls
of makeNode() in the backend...)