Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-07-31 20:10:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> Another idea is to change pg_hba.conf to not default to 'trust' but then
>> the installing user is going to have to choose a password.

Well, initdb already has an option to request a password.  It would
perhaps make sense for initdb to alter the installed pg_hba.conf file
to select local md5 mode instead of local trust mode when this option is
specified.

> I like this approach.  Set it to password (or md5) on local, and force
> the request of a password during initdb.

I don't like "forcing" people to do anything, especially not things that
aren't necessarily useful to them.  On a single-user machine there is
no advantage to using database passwords.