Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(at)ifi(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?
Date: 2004-09-10 14:24:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(at)ifi(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
> how can att[i]->attlen possibly change in the interim?  but
> data_length looks corrupted, too.

Unless you compiled with no optimization at all (-O0), the compiler
would likely fold the identical memcpy() calls in the different
if-branches together.  So I wouldn't put too much stock in the
reported line number.

It does seem striking that a 0x2f got dumped into the high byte of the
length word in both cases.  Have you checked to see what the
page-on-disk looks like?  I'd be interested to know if the offset of the
damaged byte within the page is again 0x0fff.