Re: Multiple logical databases

From: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-03 03:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> From an administration perspective, a single point of admin would
>> seem like a logical and valuable objective, no?
>
> I don't understand why you are going out of your way to separate your
> databases (for misinformed reasons, it appears) and then want to design
> a way to centrally control them so they can all fail together.

Oh come on, "misinformed?" is that really called for?

Think about a website that (and I have one) has the U.S.A. Streetmap
database, the freedb CD database, and a slew of sites based on phpbb and
drupal.

Maybe one should put them all in one database cluster, but...

The street database is typically generated and QAed in the lab. It is then
uploaded to the server. It has many millions of rows and about a half
dozen indexes. To dump and reload takes almost a day.

Compressing the DB and uploading it into the site, uncompressing it,
stoping the current postgresql process, swapping the data directory, and
restarting it can be done in about an hour. One can not do this if the
street map database is part of the standard database cluster. The same
thing happens with the freedb database.

Unless you can tell me how to insert live data and indexes to a cluster
without having to reload the data and recreate the indexes, then I hardly
think I am "misinformed." The ad hominem attack wasn't nessisary.

I have no problem with disagreement, but I take exception to insult.

If no one sees a way to manage multiple physical database clusters as one
logical cluster as something worth doing, then so be it. I have a
practical example of a valid reason how this would make PostgreSQL easier
to work with. Yes there are work arounds. Yes it is not currently
unworkable.

It is just that it could be better. As I mentioned earlier, I have been
dealing with this sort of problem for a number of years now, and I think
this is the "cool" solution to the problem.