Re: perl dbd libraries keeping transactions open?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: perl dbd libraries keeping transactions open?
Date: 2003-03-02 17:55:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com> writes:
> It seems that the implementation is for the libs to
> do a BEGIN on connect and after every transaction -- is
> this normal. Is there a way to keep it from causing
> problems with vaccuums?

This is horrible practice for a number of reasons, not only its effect
on VACUUM. Consider what you will get from now(), for example. A new
BEGIN should only be issued when you are ready to issue the first
command of the next transaction.

If that hasn't been fixed yet in the dbd driver, I would recommend
fixing it there.