Re: Questions on plan with INSERT/SELECT on partitioned table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Connors, Bill" <BConnors(at)rochgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions on plan with INSERT/SELECT on partitioned table
Date: 2010-02-12 18:20:29
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Connors, Bill" <BConnors(at)rochgrp(dot)com> writes:
> ... in my actual system where we have a couple hundred partitions this
> query takes minutes to plan.

Please note what the documentation says under "Partitioning Caveats".
The current partitioning support is not meant to scale past a few dozen
partitions.  So the solution to your problem is to not have so many
partitions.

There are plans to make some fundamental changes in partitioning
support, and one of the main reasons for that is to allow it to scale to
larger numbers of partitions.  This is just in the arm-waving stage
though ...