So git pull is shorthand for what exactly?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: So git pull is shorthand for what exactly?
Date: 2010-10-01 15:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

man git-pull sayeth

In its default mode, git pull is shorthand for git fetch followed by
git merge FETCH_HEAD.

However, I just tried that and it failed rather spectacularly. How do
you *really* update your local repo without an extra git fetch step?

Poking around, it looks like each workdir has its own copy of
.git/FETCH_HEAD, which may be the problem --- I was trying to update a
workdir that wasn't the one I'd done git fetch in. Do I have to put
together a script that copies FETCH_HEAD from place to place?