Re: 7.4.3 and PAM authentication failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dallas N Antley <dna+pgsql(at)clas(dot)ufl(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4.3 and PAM authentication failures
Date: 2004-08-16 23:35:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dallas N Antley <dna+pgsql(at)clas(dot)ufl(dot)edu> writes:
> I think I know why pam authentication fails with the pam_unix*
> modules, but would appreciate your opinion.

I think you've proven that the particular PAM modules you are testing
with are useless for programs executing as non-root, but that doesn't
mean the entire concept is broken. Look around ... there are lots of
PAM modules (or at least that's the theory).

BTW, what are those "door_info()" and "door_call()" calls shown in the
truss output? Could it be that those are supposed to get the PAM code
into a higher authorization level?