Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-28 04:52:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> > Mark,

>> is
>> >
>> > Then stop talking about it and write a patch.
>> >
>> > So far, you've failed to convince anyone else on this list that the
>> > functionality you suggest is actually useful for anyone other that
>> you,
>> > personally. The only way you're going to do so is to put up some code
>> > somewhere other people can use it and prove that it's useful.
>>
>> Maybe I'm too used to working in engineering groups. I am trying to get
>> input for a project. Trying to iron out what the feature set should be
>> and
>> the objectives that should be attained. BEFORE I start coding.
>>
>> Just saying "submit a patch" is the antithesis to good engineering, it
>> works for hacking, but if I am going to develop a feature, I wish to do
>> it
>> right and have it appeal to the broadest possible audience, collect as
>> much input about the needs of users, etc.
>
> You are 100% right here. Talking about it first is usually the best
> policy.

Thanks!

> One question I have is how this feature would be an improvement over
> just pointing pg_ctl at a postgresql.conf configuration file. That
> config file has the ability to specify most if not all server
> parameters.

Like I have repeated a number of times, sometimes, there is more than one
database cluster on a machine. The proposed pg_clusters.conf, could look
like this:

pg_clusters.conf>>>>
[GEO]
DATADIR=/vol01/pggeo
PORT=5435

[ICDMDB]
DATADIR=/vol01/pgicdmdb
PORT=5434

[TOMLANE]
DATADIR=/vol03/pg74
PORT=5433
POSTMASTER=/usr/local/pg7.4.1/bin/postmaster

[POSTMASTER]
DATADIR=/vol02/pg90
PORT=5432

# Virtual target starts all?
[ALL]
DB0=GEO
DB1=ICDMDB
DB2=TOMLANE

<<<<<<<<<

pg_ctl start
(Finds and starts the "POSTMASTER" entry)

pg_ctl -S ICDMDB start
(Starts the ICDMDB cluster)

pg_ctl startall
or
pg_ctl -S [*|all] start
or
pg_ctl startall

Or maybe even "start" will start a virtual target "ALL"