Re: Encoding woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bendik R(dot)Johansen" <bendik(dot)johansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding woes
Date: 2005-04-26 14:40:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Bendik R.Johansen" <bendik(dot)johansen(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am having a few encoding related problems.

> 1. I have a database set up on my Mac OSX machine, PostgreSQL 8.02. I
> am trying to dump the tables and load them into Postgres on a Suse 9.2
> box. I get the following error:
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xe5742c

I'm betting that the database encoding on the source machine was set as
SQL_ASCII, but that you then proceeded to store a lot of data that
wasn't plain ASCII. To load it into a machine with a different database
encoding, you are going to have to be honest about what the data
actually is. You should modify the dump file to set "client_encoding"
to the correct description of the source data (Latin1 maybe?). Postgres
can translate Latin1 to Unicode ... but only if it's told what the data
encoding is.