Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bryan Biggers <bbiggers(at)tds(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names
Date: 2004-10-19 20:05:11
Lists: pgsql-admin
Bryan Biggers <bbiggers(at)tds(dot)net> writes:
> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3 etc.
> extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or something? I
> need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I need them.

You will be very very unhappy if you remove those files (or anything
else underneath $PGDATA).  What you have there is just a 7-gig table.
We split large tables into 1Gb segments for portability reasons.

If you think that there's a lot of wasted space within the files, you
might find it profitable to use (some combination of) VACUUM FULL,
CLUSTER, or REINDEX.