Re: mingw compile error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob Rossi <bob_rossi(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mingw compile error
Date: 2008-05-18 05:39:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Bob Rossi <bob_rossi(at)cox(dot)net> writes:
>> I noticed that if I build postgresql-8.3.1 on mingw with
>> --disable-shared --without-zlib, I get a compiler error when it goes to
>> build the regress test in src/test/regress.

> Ping. Anyone care?

Well, no, not a lot --- you haven't explained why it's necessary for
you to build with --disable-shared.  Mingw certainly supports shared
libraries, and it's hard to deny that that's the wave of the future,
and as I already mentioned to you there are large areas of Postgres
functionality that never have and never will work without shared
library support.

For the record, so far as I can tell the src/test/regress makefile has
never supported --disable-shared build.  If it worked for you before,
it was because the upper-level makefiles didn't propagate the "make all"
request down to src/test/regress.  But that started to happen in 8.2,
and yours is the first complaint we've gotten, so it doesn't seem to be
of wide interest.

FWIW, I notice that CVS HEAD doesn't try to build the shlib in
src/test/regress, as a result of unrelated cleanups by Peter E.
It does still try to build the two contrib/spi .so files that the
regression tests want ... I have no idea if that would fail on
your tool chain or not.