Re: Does pg_dump have a 2GB file-size limit?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Schnur <dnschnur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does pg_dump have a 2GB file-size limit?
Date: 2009-09-14 17:53:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

David Schnur <dnschnur(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I develop a piece of software that uses PostgreSQL (8.3.5) as a back-end
> database. The software can, optionally, use pg_dump to create snapshots of
> the database. One user has run into a problem where pg_dump dumps 2GB, then
> claims that the archive is too large.

Hmm, shouldn't be happening on a reasonably modern Linux system.
You might want to check the pg_config.h that was generated while
building pg_dump, to ensure that _LARGEFILE_SOURCE is defined and
SIZEOF_OFF_T is 8.

Another possibility is that pg_dump is fine but you're trying to write
on a filesystem without largefile support. Yes, ext3 is okay, but
are you sure the customer is dumping onto ext3?