Re: Invalid Page Headers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid Page Headers
Date: 2006-04-18 19:57:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
> In the meantime, should I leave the database online while I attempt
> to recover? It's still unclear to me whether postgres will restart
> with invalid page headers. I certainly can't run pg_dumpall, for
> instance.

Has the database successfully checkpointed since the last error
occurrence? If so, I wouldn't foresee any problem with a shutdown.
If checkpoints are failing then you probably won't be able to shut
down without getting the same error. (Use pg_controldata if you're
not sure about when the last checkpoint happened.)

> I'm glad that there have so far been only 3 relations affected... :(

You mean, three that you know about :-(