Re: UserLinux with MySQL

From: Evil Azrael <evilazrael(at)evilazrael(dot)de>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UserLinux with MySQL
Date: 2003-12-20 13:35:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Yesterday i read in this german article ([]=userlinux ) that they had already decided for postgresql. I don´t know where they´ve got this information, but Golem is in my eyes a reliable Source.

Christoph Nelles

Am Samstag, 20. Dezember 2003 um 14:03 schrieben Sie:

SD> On Saturday 20 December 2003 18:13, Kaarel wrote:
>> Check this out. They chose GNOME instead of KDE because Qt requires a
>> proprietary license for commercial apps while GTK+ is fully GNU. As they
>> put it the licensing "is the sole reason for this decision".
>> But when it comes to databases they've chosen "MySQL with non-GPL
>> libraries". How's this different from Qt vs GTK+?
>> However he does say he is "not a database pro, and will listen to
>> argument about the merits of other database servers". So perhaps
>> PostgreSQL advocacy team has something to say here.

SD> Does that mean postgresql is not included? I could not find any such thing on

SD> Most distributions ship both of them. Slackware is one exception I know that
SD> does not ship postgresql by default. But then most slack users know how to
SD> get it on their system, I believe.

SD> I think it is rather stretched to drag postgresql v/s mysql in GNOME v/s KDE.
SD> Most probably userlinux will ship with psotgresql and mysql.

SD> Let's wait and see..

SD>  Shridhar

SD> P.S. After all said and done, it is just another linux distribution. How far
SD> it goes remains to be seen. Personally I think this war of getting included
SD> into it(for GNOME/KDE) is rather overhyped, despite of high value names
SD> associated with it. Let it prove itself and users will funnel it down the way
SD> they want.

SD> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
SD>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Evil Azrael                            mailto:evilazrael(at)evilazrael(dot)de